999 crew at wrong address

Latest news

Latest news

0
Have your say

A MAN gave the wrong address as he panicked while calling out firefighters to a blaze in the kitchen of his own home!

The fire was just one of more than seven cooking-related incidents that crews dealt with in just one day.

It was at 11.50am on Thursday that both crews from Leigh Fire Station were called to an address where there was no fire.

A 42-year-old man had discovered his grill pan was ablaze, panicked when the call handler asked for the address and gave the details of where his mother lives.

Within a matter of minutes, the mistake was realised, the call handler got the right address from the caller and firefighters went to a house on Regent Drive, Higher Fold.

Firefighters used a fan to clear the smoke from the house and a Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service trauma technician treated the man with oxygen as he had inhaled some smoke from the fire.

The fire had started after he left his cooking unattended. He became aware it had caught fire after his smoke alarm sounded.

The crews carried out a Home Safety Check for the man before leaving him in the care of paramedics.

Coun David Acton, Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, said: “We’re glad of the people involved in the fires escaped relatively unscathed and our firefighters were on the scene quickly to make sure that the fires weren’t as devastating as they could have been.

“All of these fires highlight just how easily a fire can start so we’re also asking people to think that little bit more carefully when cooking. Distraction is one of the biggest causes of fire in the kitchen so, when you are preparing your food, please give it your full attention.”

For a free Home Safety Check, which may include the fitting of smoke alarms, please contact Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service on 0800 555 815 or visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx.