Another e-cig fire drama

Lucky escape - Victoria Newton with her children Dylan, Millie and Lauren after an e-cigarette caused a fire at their house in Leigh

Lucky escape - Victoria Newton with her children Dylan, Millie and Lauren after an e-cigarette caused a fire at their house in Leigh

6
Have your say

WIGANERS are being warned about the dangers of e-cigarettes after one on charge sparked a house fire.

Robert Bell was charging his wife’s e-cig when he suddenly heard a huge bang and his sitting room became engulfed in smoke.

He told how the e-cig had exploded upwards before sparking a small fire.

Mr Bell said: “It was only a small fire - it burnt our wooden floor.

“But it’s a good job I was in the house at the time.

“If I had been out it could have been 100 times worse.

“I heard a bang - like the noise a firework makes - and the e-cig shot into the air.

“Smoke then started filling the room and there was a small flame on the floor.”

He added: “I want to warn people about the dangers of e-cigs. My sister had one explode in her house too.”

This is just the latest in a series of frightening incidents in Wigan borough for which e-cigarettes or their chargers have been blamed.

In June a charging e-cig exploded at a home in Leigh - sparking a ferocious house fire which killed the neighbour’s cat.

Victoria Newton said that she and her children were lucky to be alive after escaping the blaze which gutted her daughter Lauren’s bedroom. One of the youngster’s friends had plugged in the device while they all went out.

Victoria said: “My first thought was to make sure my kids were safe.

“My son was screaming and when my girls saw us run outside they heard me shouting ‘fire’ and they burst into tears.”

She said she hoped the incident would serve as a warning to others.

And in October, a man was rushed to hospital after his e-cig exploded and caused shards of metal to embed in his legs.

Emergency crews were called to Crompton House, Scholes, to reports of a fire.

But upon arrival, firefighters found a man in his 40s with serious injuries.

The blast produced so much force that it blew out the lenses in his glasses.

Station manager Ben Levy said: “The gentleman was sitting on his sofa smoking his e-cigarette. The e-cig became very hot and he threw it on the floor. It then exploded and a piece of metal went through the man’s leg, put a hole in a door and ricocheted off a wall.

“Another section of the e-cig wounded his other leg in the explosion.”