Attack victim tells of nightmare ordeal

Anthony Parry after the attack
Anthony Parry after the attack

THE victim of a brutal attack in Wigan has said he was lucky not to be taken away in a body bag.

Anthony Parry had his jaw broken in three places and required stitches to a wound in his mouth after an assault on King Street West in the early hours of Sunday. The 26-year-old sustained his most severe injuries while he was unconscious lying on the ground having been knocked out trying to help his friend during an altercation.

They left me for dead and I could have been taken away in a body bag. It was cowardly, there was the altercation and punches thrown, but I was unconscious and couldn’t defend myself

Anthony Parry

And the dad-of-two is now hoping witnesses come forward to help detectives bring the offenders to justice.

Mr Parry told the Evening Post: “One of them was on top of my friend and as I’ve tried to help they’ve started punching me. I got hit on the right side of my temple and I was out cold.

“It was then that they started beating me and I’m told one of them kicked me. They left me for dead and I could have been taken away in a body bag. It was cowardly, there was the altercation and punches thrown, but I was unconscious and couldn’t defend myself.”

Police are appealing for witnesses and Mr Parry has been told some of the incident has been captured on CCTV. PC Lindsey Sutch of Wigan division said: “We don’t have a description of the offender as the victim was hit from behind, but I am appealing to any witnesses who saw the assault to speak to police.

“I would urge anyone who was on King Street West at the time and saw the altercation or the assault to get in touch.” This attack is the latest in a long-line of violence related to Wigan’s night-scene and earlier this year council bosses pledged new measures to stem the trend on nearby King Street.

In February, 19-year-old Kieron Stazicker vowed never to set foot on King Street again after he had his jaw shattered in a late night attack.

Mr Parry, who lives in Hindley, works as a tiler and is now concerned about the time he will have to take off work and the impact on his young family.

He said: “I am still in a lot of pain and spent five hours in hospital on Sunday.

“I woke up while I was still in the street and can remember people telling me not to get up and to wait for the ambulance. I am taking a lot of painkillers.

“I don’t go out regularly in Wigan. I hope something comes of the CCTV, to beat me while I was knocked out on the floor...it makes me angry.”

Anyone with information about the incident, which happened at around 6am, should phone police on 0161 856 7124 or the independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.