A LOCAL journalist who was left fighting for his life after a brutal street attack has been pictured sitting up and smiling.
Gary Carter, a regular freelance reporter at both Wigan Warriors and Wigan Athletic games, is said to be making good progress in his recovery from the November 6 incident.
The 35-year-old was in London to cover England RL’s test match against New Zealand when he was brutally assaulted, with it believed he smashed his head on the pavement.
He suffered serious injuries and was left in a critical condition in hospital but, over the course of the last two months, has made positive steps.
Gary was moved from the clinical care ward at Royal London Hospital to Salford Royal last month and also spent time at Papworth Hospital in Cambridge.
His wife Gemma posted photographs of him smiling nad sitting upright, the first to be made public, and praised hospital staff for their work.
I’m welcoming 2016 with open arms and staying focused on the one thing in the world that means the most to me, my husband, GazGemma Carter
Writing on Facebook, she said: “2015 has been the most challenging year of our lives.
“I’m welcoming 2016 with open arms and staying focused on the one thing in the world that means the most to me, my husband, Gaz.
“We would have never got this far without the support of our wonderful families and friends and words cannot explain how grateful we are for this.
“Long may it continue for a healthy and happy future. Happy new year from the Carters and raise a glass to our fabulous NHS this evening!”