Axe thrown through car window

Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court
Wigan and Leigh Magistrates' Court

Four people accused of taking part in a brawl during which an axe was allegedly thrown through a car window have appeared in court.

Paul Birchall, Mark Cunliffe, Delia James and Stuart Martin all appeared at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court to answer charges of affray.

Birchall and Cunliffe of Worsley Mesnes, pleaded not guilty while James and Martin, both of Ince, did not enter pleas.

Martin, 41, also faces a charge of being in possession of an axe on Chorley Street on September 6 last year, when the alleged affrays also happened.

Prosecuting, Katie Beattie said: “The incident appears to be quite a big fight and has all been captured on CCTV.

“The allegations also involve an axe which is thrown through a car window. The people involved then get out of the vehicles and a fight ensues.”

Defending 44-year-old Birchall and Cunliffe, 40, was Bob Toppin who said: “You will gather from the pleas my clients have made that they deny their part in the offence.”

No observations were made in 38-year-old James and Martin’s defence. All four defendants will now appear at Bolton Crown Court on April 12.

All four men were released on unconditional bail until the date of their next appearance at court.