Blaze at popular chip shop

Fire at The New Chippery, Market Street, Wigan town centre
Fire at The New Chippery, Market Street, Wigan town centre
2
Have your say

STAFF and customers were evacuated from a Wigan town centre eatery after an electrical blaze broke out.

Firefighters were called to The New Chippery on Market Street yesterday after a fuse box burst into flames underneath the premises at around 3.30pm.

A spokesman from Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service confirmed that the source of the incident was fuse board in the cellar.

Three fire engines were on standby in the town centre as the blaze was tackled.

A witness told the Wigan Evening Post: “The whole area really stinks and there’s smoke everywhere coming out of the ground. It’s really manic at the minute.”