Blaze victim named

News
News
0
Have your say

THE 90-year-old man who died in a house fire in Standish has been named as Robert Carson.

Emergency services were called to the semi-detached property in Pepper Lane at around 6.30pm on Tuesday October 15 and found the property well alight with flames coming out of the window.

Mr Carson, who is believed to have relatives living in the same street, was pronounced dead at the scene.

Steve Sheridan, Wigan borough’s fire commander, said: “The investigation between Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service and Greater Manchester Police is almost concluded and at this stage it appears that the fire was caused accidentally.

“I spent a great deal of time at the scene myself and our thoughts are with Mr Carson’s family.”

Police confirmed there were no suspicious circumstances. The incident sparked a mass power cut in the area that lasted for several hours.

Locals described the incident as “shocking” and “upsetting” after the pensioner was pronounced dead at the scene.

One resident, who asked not to be named, said: “It’s very sad. I just heard a lot of commotion and then there were fire engines at the house.

“There was no power for a while so I’m not sure what happened or how it all started.

“To be honest, I didn’t really know the man – it’s just very upsetting that he has died in this way.”

Another neighbour added: “I didn’t know about it until the power went off. It’s absolutely shocking.”

Firefighters spent yesterday providing reassurance and safety advice to residents as well as offering Home Safety Checks and advice to residents and raising awareness of the importance of smoke alarms.

Upon arrival on Tuesday, crews worked quickly to stop the fire spreading to neighbouring homes and used hose reels to fight the fire.