Boy, 12, falls from Camelot ride

editorial image

A 12-year-old boy has been taken to hospital after falling out of a ride at Camelot theme park.

The boy, who has not yet been identified, fell from Excalibur 2 at the Chorley park at 1pm on Tuesday.

He has been taken to Wigan Infirmary.

His injuries are not thought to be life-threatening.

A Lancashire Police spokesman says the boy was airlifted to hospital.

Roy Page, chief executive of Knights Leisure Limited, operators of Camelot, said: “At this stage, we do not know the full extent of the injuries sustained and our thoughts are with the young boy and his family.

“Until we have more information to hand, it would be inappropriate to make any further comment.”

The Health and Safety Executive (HSE) has been informed and an internal inquiry is underway at the park.

Statements have been taken from several eye witnesses.

One father told the Evening Post the boy had been seen hanging from the ride.

A spokesman for the HSE said: “The HSE has launched a joint investigation with the police and inspectors are visiting the park.”

Excalibur 2 is a white-knuckle ride where revellers are spun around on a rotating arm.

It is one of Camelot’s most popular rides and was installed 10 years ago. It is subject to a daily, pre-opening maintenance and safety inspection and also undergoes an annual independent safety inspection.

Height and weight restrictions apply to people using the ride, with the minimum height limit set at 1.4 metres.

The ride will remain closed until the results of Camelot’s internal investigation are finalised and the HSE has confirmed the ride can be re-opened.