A WIGAN schoolboy has been convicted of raping and sexually assaulting two young girls.
The 12-year-old, who cannot be identified for legal reasons, was found guilty by a jury of six men and six women who unanimously convicted him of six offences after just two hours’ deliberations.
He had pleaded not guilty to three counts of rape, two counts of sexual assault and one of attempted rape, which were committed when he was 11 years old.
The boy, who is from Bolton but is now said to live in Wigan borough, will be sentenced on June 18 to allow reports to be prepared by a child psychologist and youth offending team.
Judge Mark Brown said that he was bound by law to have his interests very much at the forefront of his mind because of the boy’s age and intellectual abilities.
Following the week-long trial at Liverpool Crown Court, Judge Brown said he viewed the case as different from the usual sort of sexual case. He said: “It was more a form of bullying and sexual experimentation.”
The judge also ordered that impact statements should be obtained prior to sentencing from the victims, now aged eight and 12, and the made an interim order for the boy to sign on the Sex Offenders’ Register.
During the trial the jury heard that when the boy was 11 years old he sexually molested a girl with learning difficulties when she was 10 or 11 and on a later occasion he made her perform a sex act on him and raped her.
Those offences came to light in early March last year after he raped and sexually abused a seven-year-old girl while they were alone after they had been out playing football.
The boy, who denied the allegations in court, was convicted on two counts of raping the younger girl, one of sexually assaulting her, one of raping the older girl, one of attempting to rape her and one of sexually assaulting her.