Candles cause bedroom blaze

editorial image
0
Have your say

A WOMAN had a lucky escape after candles left burning in her bedroom set a pair of curtains on fire.

Fire crews were called to the end terrace property on Atherton Road in Hindley at around 6.10pm on Thursday.

Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus managed to put out the flames, which caused fire damage to the area around the bedroom window and the skirting boards.

The woman and two children in the house were alerted to the blaze by smoke alarms and all left the property safely.

Firefighters said the house had escaped with comparatively little damage as the address was extremely close to the station, allowing them to be at the scene within minutes.

Crews are now urging residents who want to use candles as Christmas decorations to ensure they do not cause a fire hazard.

Watch manager Mike Wilding from Hindley fire station said: “Candles and tealights are not dangerous but they need to have something to hold them.

“They get very hot underneath and therefore just melt through the wooden or acrylic items people often place them on.

“If you are going to use candles at this time of year then use them safely.”

For more advice visit the Fire Safety at Home section at www.manchesterfire.gov.uk