Chip pan fire warning

The danger of flames and smoke from a chip pan fire
The danger of flames and smoke from a chip pan fire
10
Have your say

FIRE chiefs have issued fresh warnings over the dangers of chip pans after two pensioners had a lucky escape.

The 74-year-old woman and an 85-year-old man managed to get out of the house after a smoke alarm sounded when the pan caught fire at around 6.30pm on Thursday (October 17) at their home on Cameron Street, Leigh.

Watch Manager Michael Callan, from Leigh Fire Station, said: “The chip pan had been left unattended and caught fire.

“The couple managed to get out of the back of the house but because neighbours couldn’t see them they thought they were still inside and one neighbour kicked the front door down and went into the house – but we would never recommend anyone to go back into a fire.

“Firefighters wearing breathing apparatus went into the house to do a full search and confirm there was nobody else inside and we ventilated the property.

“Thankfully the alarm was raised early as the couple had a working smoke alarm that we had fitted in Spring as part of a safety campaign in the area.”

The couple were taken to hospital for a precautionary check-up.

The crew were on their way back from another chip pan incident in Lowton when they got the call to Cameron Street.

They had attended a similar incident in Fulwood Road at 6.05pm where a chip pan had been left unattended and caught fire. Watch Manager Callan said: “The resident had forgotten to put the chips in and the pan was smoking, so they put in into the sink and when it made contact with the water, that’s when it burst into flames.”

Nobody was injured and firefighters stayed to carry out a Home Safety Check as there were no smoke alarms in the house.

To book a free Home Safety Check, call 0800 555 815 or visit the GMFRS website: http://www.manchesterfire.gov.uk/fire_safety_advice/home_fire_risk_assessments.aspx