Closure Order after Samurai Sword assault

News story
News story
0
Have your say

WIGAN Magistrates Court has granted a three month Closure Order at an address in the borough after a string of anti-social behaviour incidents including a serious assault.

The assault took place on Wednesday, June 24, at 23 Elizabeth Street, Leigh. This assault was carried out with a samurai sword which took place in the alleyway behind the residential properties. One male was arrested and remains on remand, and the tenant was also arrested. Since then further complaints were received by residents about a continuation of alleged drug dealing.

Greater Manchester Police carried out a warrant at the address on Friday 3rd July and recovered an amount of what is suspected to be Class A Drugs. In addition around 40 wraps of what is suspected of being either heroin or cocaine has been found at the address. Two people were arrested.

Wigan Council and Greater Manchester Police have received complaints about this address independently from local residents, the behaviour ranged from loud, rowdy parties to suspected misuse of drugs.

At the court hearing the magistrates agreed to close the property under Section 80 of the Antisocial Behaviour, Crime and Policing Act 2014 for a period of three months. Officers from Wigan Council’s safer environment ASB team have visited the address to serve a Closure Notice, which closes the property to access to anyone except the tenant for 48 hours.

The defendant, who is the tenant at the address, did not attend court and the matter was not contested. If anyone who is not permitted to enter the property does so, they may be arrested and face imprisonment, fine or both.

Wigan Council has liaised with the managing agents for this property who have agreed to serve an eviction notice. Greater Manchester Police and Wigan Council have worked closely together in ensuring this matter is dealt with in the hope of providing piece of mind to the residents affected.

Inspector Liz Sanderson from the Leigh East policing team said: “We believe this closure sends out a message that we will not tolerate anti-social behaviour in our communities. This closure would not have happened without help from the local community and I would like to thank those people who gave the initial information which led to this closure. This is an excellent example of the effective working partnership between the council and police and we will continue to work together to stop people who act in this way in order to make our communities safer.”

Alan Blundell, assistant director for regulation at Wigan Council, said:

“We hope the swift action from both Wigan Council and Greater Manchester Police will act as a deterrent to others involved in this type of behaviour. Such behaviour impacts on our communities and affects some of our most vulnerable residents which is unacceptable.”