Council warn of Halloween costume dangers

Failed safety test

Failed safety test

0
Have your say

PARENTS in Wigan are being warned to be extra vigilant after the discovery of unsafe children’s Halloween costumes on sale in the borough.

Trading standards officers carried out a string of safety tests on a number of products on sale in local shops.

Failed safety test

Failed safety test

The tests were part of a co-ordinated safety sampling survey to check items on sale comply with legislation on the run up to Halloween and bonfire night.

Two fancy dress products were found by officials to be unsafe and failed flammability tests and parents are being warned not to let their children wear these items.

The first product was an orange coloured Halloween ‘Fun Screamer’ mask and hood, from an independent retailer.

Trading Standards Officers have removed the product from the store.

It was a very sad story indeed when Claudia Winkelman’s daughter was injured in 2014 when a Halloween costume that she had been wearing had caught fire from an open flame lantern

Coun Kevin Anderson

The second item was a Halloween hair band with hair extension, from a budget retailer.

It comes in a range of three colours - green, pink and purple.

The product has been withdrawn from sale.

Anyone who has already purchased one of these items should throw them away, council officials have warned.

Halloween face masks and costumes are required to be fire retardant in accordance to The Toy Safety Regulations 2011 and the European British Standard BSEN71-2.

If the costume or face-mask has not been properly fire resistant in accordance to the standard, the consequences can be severe.

Parents are advised to always check the labelling on Halloween costumes, and ensure they contain the following information:

Manufacturer’s name and address details; Instructions and safety information; CE mark.

Coun Kevin Anderson, cabinet member for environment, said: “It was a very sad story indeed when Claudia Winkelman’s daughter was injured in 2014 when a Halloween costume that she had been wearing had caught fire from an open flame lantern.

“This sad incident highlights the need for parents to be vigilant and keep their children away from any naked flame when Halloween costumes and masks are worn.

“We would therefore strongly advise parents to use battery powered LED tea lights instead of real candles or tea lights in pumpkins or any Halloween decoration.”