Cat dies in poison attack

0
Have your say

ANOTHER cat has been found dead after being poisoned by anit-freeze.

And today the RSPCA in Wigan issued a warning to owners to take extra care with their pets.

Three-year-old Molly was the fourth cat to be killed by anti-freeze in a space of two weeks. Her owners Jean Jones, 62, and granddaughter Rebecca Parry, 18, of Spring View, noticed Molly lying on the landing floor, not moving, with two white marks on her eyes.

Mrs Jones rang the RSPCA, who sedated the cat advised her to take the cat to the vets, where she later died.

Mrs Jones, a mother-of-six and a grandmother-of-14, said: “My grandaughter is so upset. It is devastating. She may only be a cat, but she was beautiful. We loved her so much.

“I think maybe someone left the anti-freeze out to stop her from going in their garden. Why do that to an innocent cat? She was loved and wanted. We just want our cat back.”

Two weeks ago the Evening Post reported that three cats, five-year-old Toby, his sister Poppy and neighbour Dixie, died within hours of each other, after they ingested the poison, near Broadriding Road, Shevington.

A spokesman from the RSPCA said: “We are deeply concerned and saddened by the recent spate of anti-freeze poisonings in cats. Many animals find the taste very attractive and ingesting even the smallest amount can lead to kidney failure and death, especially in cats.

“We would like to take this opportunity to remind the public that anti-freeze poisoning can cause animals pain, suffering and distress, ultimately resulting in their death.

“The poisoning of a cat can constitute a criminal offence. Under the Animal Welfare Act 2006 the maximum penalty for anyone found guilty of this offence is up to six months imprisonment and/or a fine of £20,000.”

Symptoms to look out for if you fear that your cat may have been poisoned:

Vomiting;

Sleepiness;

Appearing uncoordinated;

Difficulty breathing;

Increased thirst and urination.