A WIGAN property developer has been given a community order after admitting possessing a stun gun.
John Bolster, of Red Rock Lane, Haigh, appeared at Wigan Magistrates’ Court yesterday after being charged with possessing an electrical incapacitation device.
On November 2, police officers obtained a warrant under the firearms act and found a stun gun in a kitchen cupboard at Bolster’s home.
The court heard that Bolster, 41, did not realise that a stun gun was a prohibited weapon and that it had originally belonged to a friend who had visited him in 2005 and left it behind.
Bolster, who spoke only to confirm his name and date of birth, was given a community order with 200 hours unpaid work.
Prosecuting, Mike Ardern said: “While being interviewed, Mr Bolster said he didn’t know having a stun gun was illegal and that he had never used it – only on himself.
“A friend of his from the Royal Marines had been staying with him for a few months.
“He had brought the weapon along with other items and had left them at Mr Bolster’s home when he returned to the forces.”
Defending Bolster, Andrew Scott said: “There was very little power in the device when it was found. It was only sufficient to make the torch work – the stun gun itself was not in a working capacity.
“His friend who had left the stun gun at his home, had then gone back to Iraq and was kidnapped and killed.
“After this, the device has just been left at Mr Bolster’s house, it was not hidden away, just put in the cupboard.
“Mr Bolster also pleaded guilty at the very first opportunity.”
Bolster,a father-of-five, was said to be disappointed to find himself in court after turning his life around following a custodial sentence 15 years ago.
Mr Scott added: “He is very disappointed he is here in court. The stun gun is not something he had ever intended to use.
“And he had co-operated with officers from the very beginning.”
Bolster was also ordered to forfeit the device so that it could be destroyed. Magistrates also ordered him to pay £85 prosecution costs.