Legal move over death in hospital

Jacqueline Thomason who contracted streptococus septicemia asnd died in Wigan Infirmary

Jacqueline Thomason who contracted streptococus septicemia asnd died in Wigan Infirmary

0
Have your say

A FAMILY of a woman who died from lethal bacterial outbreak in an operating theatre in a Wigan hospital are now claiming compensation.

Former NHS worker Jacqueline Thomason, 53, was admitted to Wigan Infirmary for routine surgery to remove part of her thyroid gland in April last year.

She was treated with a laryngoscope, the handle of which had been used earlier in the treatment of a patient who was later found to have the Group A streptococcus infection.

The handle of the laryngoscope had not been cleaned appropriately before being used on Mrs Thomason and she died a few days later.

Shortly before the inquest, Wrightington, Wigan and Leigh NHS Foundation Trust conceded liability for Mrs Thomason’s death.

And now, Mrs Thomason’s husband, Colin, who lives in Leigh, is calling for compensation and law firm Scott Rees and Co Solicitors, based in Skelmersdale, is collating evidence,

Chris Walker, who heads Scott Rees’ catastrophic injuries and clinical negligence division, said: “The family of Jacqueline Thomason believed that the hospital was negligent in allowing her to contract an infection and once the infection was detected, in failing to treat it properly.

“We are now collating evidence to support their compensation claim.

“At the inquest the coroner’s call for a review of anaesthetic procedures was clearly welcomed by the family to ensure it does not happen again and offers peace of mind to other members of the public.”

Speaking to The Post shortly before the inquest into her death in August, Mr Thomason, 54, said: “This has put a tremendous strain on the family. We talked to the surgeon after Jackie’s thyroid operation and he was quite happy with how it went. .

“This was a basic thyroid operation that has resulted with in this tragic death.”