Man tells of horror attack

Martin Robinson
Martin Robinson
0
Have your say

A YOUNG man has told how his life was changed forever when he was left in intensive care after an incident in a nightclub.

Martin Robinson, who has Crohn’s Disease, was told his life was in danger after his bowel was perforated in the unprovoked attack, he has had to have two operations and is waiting for his third and has spent four months in hospital.

But the plucky 24-year-old is determined to rebuild his life and is now continuing his recovery back at home six months on from the attack at Indiependence on April 2 this year.

He said: “It has been a struggle and I wouldn’t have been able to get through it without my friends and especially my family’s support and help over the months.

“There was a time when I thought I’d never get better because I couldn’t see any great improvement and that was so difficult.

“So now I’m finally back at home it feels like I’ve come a really long way and I can start looking to the future again.

“I work at Tote in the call centre taking telephone bets and my employers have been fantastic and have kept my job open for when I’m ready to go back, which I hope I’ll be able to do next month.

“I am just really focused on getting my life back to being as normal as possible and building my strength back up again now ready for the next operation I need.”

After the attack Martin was rushed to Wigan Infirmary where a scan revealed his bowel had been perforated and all the toxins were leaking into his body.

He underwent an emergency operation to fix the hole, but four weeks after there was very little improvement in his condition, he was completely immobile, to the point where all he could do was lie on his back, for a month.

Doctors later discovered that Martin, from Goose Green, had an abscess close to his lungs and liver and he had to have a drain fitted for around two weeks in June.

Eventually doctors found in July that there was still a leak from his bowel and he was admitted to Salford Hope Hospital where a second operation was carried out.

And after the initial trauma of the operation Martin’s condition began to improve and 10 days later, on July 27, he was allowed to go home.

He lost three stones while in hospital.

He has been told by doctors that he must try to build up his strength so he can have what will hopefully be his final operation, but that is still likely to be next year at the earliest.

Two men charged in connection with the incident are due to appear at Liverpool Crown Court on November 22.