Order for man who admitted harassment

editorial image
0
Have your say

A WIGAN man has been made subject to a restraining order after admitting harassment.

Andrew Darbyshire, 37, admitted phoning his estranged former partner eight times at her house and refusing to leave the door step when told to do so.

Debbie Parry, prosecuting, told Wigan magistrates that the couple had separated in June after a series of complaints of physical and verbal violence made by his partner Rachel Tomlinson.

She had attempted to take their children around to Darbyshire’s home to visit him on October 16 but had been unable to get any reply despite knocking on the front door and calling his mobile phone.

Darbyshire was at the house but had decided not to answer the calls or see his children because he had been drinking and didn’t want them to see him while under the influence.

Ms Tomlinson decided that she wanted to stop the informal visit arrangements because he kept letting her down.

But Darbyshire, of Francis Street, Hindley, then called around at her house and shouted instructions through the letter box, as well as phoning at least eight times.

Darbyshire has now agreed that he will only see his children at a per-arranged time to be agreed by the pair’s solicitors.

Mark Ferguson, defending, said because the Crown Prosecution Service and the defence could not agree on the evidence on which Darbyshire should be convicted, a new Hearing was held last month which accepted the defence’s version of the events.

Magistrates gave him a year-long community order during which he must carry out 40 hours unpaid work and six month restraining order, banning him from approaching or contacting Ms Tomlinson for six months. He was also ordered to pay £85 towards costs.