WHEN one Wigan man tucked into a late breakfast of sausage and beans, he didn’t bargain on getting a side order of spider too.
Gareth Johnstone, of Ashby Road, Hawkley Hall, munched his way through a tin of Heinz saucy bangers and beans on toast when he came across a creepy crawlie swimming in the tomato juice.
Not keen to act out a Bushtucker Trial, Gareth decided not to eat the rest of his meal – and the spider – and wife Emma immediately called the famous tinned-foods plant, which is based in Kitt Green.
Emma, 31, said: “Gareth had sat down with his breakfast on his lap and was watching the television at the same time.
“He wasn’t really concentrating and then when he put his food on his fork to have another mouthful, he just noticed, out of the corner of his eye, this spider.
“It looked like the size of a 50p and was disgusting.
“Gareth stopped eating his food, and I took a picture and then rang Heinz.”
Heinz bosses initially offered Gareth and Emma just a £5 voucher to spend on Heinz goods, but have now provided the family with £25 in vouchers, which can be spent in a variety of shops.
Emma added: “At first, I was quite annoyed I was only offered a £5 voucher.
“I have had a chocolate pudding from Heinz in the past, and found a bolt in it, so for something like this to happen again, I was shocked.
“I always buy their products and, with a young baby, I had a cupboard full of their baby food.
“But now I just don’t want to risk anything like this again.”
A spokesman for Heinz said: “We were very sorry to hear about Emma Johnstones’ experience.
“On inspection, it is very difficult to see how this isolated incident could have possibly occurred during manufacture.
“Great care and attention is given to every aspect of preparing and making our products, from sorting and screening ingredients to the stringent precautions and exacting standards we follow.
“The quality of our varieties is always of prime importance.”