Disabled couple trapped in house fire

News story
News story

AN elderly couple who are housebound are lucky to be alive after a fire tore through their kitchen.

The man and woman were trapped in bed as the toaster had set fire in their bungalow in Carr Lane, Hawkley Hall, at 9.30am on Thursday.

I don’t know what would have happened if the cleaner was not there

Watch manager Martin Smith

The flames destroyed the kitchen, and had created a lot of smoke, but had not spread anywhere else.

As the couple were disabled they were not able to move and were saved when their cleaner saw the smoke and called the emergency services.

Firefighters from Wigan attended, extinguishing the flames and closing all internal doors.

The couple, believed to be aged 75, were not evacuated and remained in the living room.

Watch manager Martin Smith said: “Luckily their cleaner found the kitchen alight and alerted the fire services. I don’t know what would have happened if she was not there. If no-one had phoned 999 the whole house would have gone up in flames. They had a smoke alarm but they would not have been able to get out.

“Luckily firefighters got there before it had spread, We closed the internal doors before the smoke got to them,

“The kitchen was badly damaged and the rest of the house was smoke-logged.”