Dishwasher sparks blaze

Fire crews helped the horse
Fire crews helped the horse

A FAMILY were forced to flee their house when their dishwasher set on fire.

The two adults and their two young children were unable to stay in the property overnight because of the smoke damage done to the house on Bolton Old Road, Atherton.

Three fire crews from Hindley, Atherton and Leigh attended the property at about 11pm last night and used breathing apparatus and a hose reel to extinguish the blaze.

The dishwasher was destroyed and some damage was also done to the kitchen worktop where the fire had spread.

A spokesman for the fire service said: “The message here is for people not to use appliances like this, dishwashers and washing machines, overnight.

“Potentially people are in bed and occasionally things do go wrong. We think here there has been some fault with the dishwasher which has caused it to set on fire.

“The family were out of the house when we arrived so they have done the right thing but unfortunately due to the smoke damage they were forced to find alternative accommodation for the night.”