THE council officer dismissed as a result of the town hall’s ongoing internal probe into the Don’t Blame the Council debacle is assistant director for trading Steve Cassie, Wigan Today understands.
The town hall has not confirmed the identity of the officer or the circumstances around the dismissal.
We can confirm a member of the management team has been dismissed following a period of suspension. It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage and whilst employment procedures take precedence.Council spokesman
But information leaked to Wigan Today names Mr Cassie as the worker “dismissed with immediate effect.”
A council statement yesterday said: “We can confirm a member of the management team has been dismissed following a period of suspension.
“It would be inappropriate to comment further at this stage and whilst employment procedures take precedence.”
The internal review, undertaken by legal officer Linda Fisher and head of HR Sonia Halliwell, was launched soon after the controversial documentary aired on June 23.
It showed workers displaying a poor work ethic and making disparaging comments about flagship council schemes.
Earlier this month chief executive Donna Hall said the review’s spotlight had been turned on senior management. And in a letter to staff at the council’s Ince depot she stated “we have informed staff, where we are able to, that we will be taking no further action against them.”
Speaking after the last full council meeting, Ms Hall told the Evening Post: “It’s the actions that led to the film coming out in the way that it did (which is now the focus). Who saw it, how was it allowed who signed the contract, all that kind of build-up to it.
“It’s not about the staff that were in it, it’s now about the management that got us into that position.
“It’s more around the bigger picture. We’re now trawling our way through e-mails.”