DW gas fire causes 500 degree heat

DW Sports Fitness

DW Sports Fitness

8
Have your say

FIREFIGHTERS were forced to battle heat of up to 500 degrees during a small but ferocious blaze at the DW gym on Stadium Way yesterday morning.

Two crews from Wigan fire station was called to the fitness club at around 7.20am following reports that a gas boiler had caught light.

The firemen attending the blaze used a thermal imaging camera and one reported heat of up to 500 degrees. Fortunately, nobody was injured as a result of the flames and it was made safe in good time.

However, the gas boiler was destroyed, meaning the club had to temporarily shut its doors.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service said: “We were called at 7.19am to DW Sports Fitness.

“We had two crews from Wigan fire station attend the incident.

“There was a fire to a gas boiler in a plant room, which was contained and was made safe.

“The blaze was quickly contained before it could spread to other parts of the building.

“As a result, there were no injuries and little damage.

“The club did have to shut for a couple of hours in the morning but was back open once everything was attended to.

A spokesperson for DW Sports fitness said: “Thankfully nobody was injured as a result of the fire.

“However, we did have to temporarily close but the club was back up and running later in the morning.”