Electrical meter causes car garage blaze

Fire service
Fire service

A faulty electrical meter sparked a fire at a car garage.

Firefighters were called to the commercial garage on Poolstock Lane, Wigan, at around 12.50pm today, Tuesday, after the flammable liquids were set alight.

Three fire engines attended the scene and used two breathing apparatus, a hose reel and ventilation fans to extinguish the blaze.

Wigan watch manager Shaun Aspey said: “They had a problem with their electricity meter which had sparked and ignited some flammable liquid.

“It wasn’t a large fire but it had the potential to be as there was a lot of flammable liquids.

“North West Electricity attended and shut the power off to the building. We were on scene for about three and a half hours to ensure the building was safe.”