Emergency evacuation after gas leak

The Co-operative, Shevington

The Co-operative, Shevington

3
Have your say

A MAJOR gas leak forced a busy Wigan shop to be evacuated, keeping it closed for more than three hours.

Worried shoppers called fire crews to the Co-operative store on Gathurst Road, Shevington, at around 10.45pm on Monday to report the smell of gas in the store.

Staff and customers were immediately evacuated as experts worked to locate the leak.

Closing the store for more than three hours, crews used a fan to disperse the gas which was found to be coming from the refrigerator tank.

Two women were precautionary checked over by paramedics at the scene but refused hospital treatment.

A Greater Manchester gas expert and a refrigerator engineer worked to ensure the area was safe again for use.