Fire at tower block

The scene of the fire at Brook House, Warrington Lane, Scholes
The scene of the fire at Brook House, Warrington Lane, Scholes
0
Have your say

RESIDENTS were forced out of their flats at a Wigan tower block on Sunday night after one of the bedrooms caught fire.

Two crews from Wigan and one from Hindley attended the blaze at the Brook House flats in Scholes at around 10pm.

By the time they arrived, many residents had self evacuated and smoke was billowing out of the seventh floor flat.

It is believed that the fire started in the bedroom of the flat after smoking material burnt the bed. Nobody was in the flat at the time and no-one was injured as a result of the fire.

Fire crews say the room was “100 per cent” ruined while other rooms in the flat were badly damaged by the smoke.

Firefighters spent several hours at the scene ensuring it was safe and managed to prevent it from spreading to neighbouring apartments.

Lifts in the flats were faulty and the crews used the stairs to carry up equipment.