FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to be careful what objects they leave on heaters after a deodorant can exploded and blew the windows out of a house.
FIREFIGHTERS are urging people to be careful what objects they leave on heaters after a deodorant can exploded and blew the windows out of a house in Tyldesley.
Thankfully the woman and child were sat in the corner of the room and avoided the full force of the explosionWatch Manager Dave Holden
A crew from Atherton were called to Cumberland Avenue after reports of an explosion at around 5.30pm yesterday, January 13, 2015.
The blast was so big firefighters thought they were dealing with a gas explosion when they saw the double fronted window of the living room had been blown five metres into the front garden.
But crew soon realised the cause of the blast was a small deodorant can, which had overheated after being left on a metal gas fire.
A 29-year-old woman and a baby, who was just 12 months old, were taken to hospital, but escaped the blast without serious injuries.
Watch Manager Dave Holden, who was in charge of incident, said: “When we arrived there was no fire, but several people were running around outside and the family were still sat in the living room with the window at the bottom of the garden.
“At first it looked like a gas explosion, but we were told a deodorant had been left on top the gas fire and it had exploded.
“The force of the blast blew the double fronted front window five metres to the bottom of the garden.
“Thankfully the woman and child were sat in the corner of the room and avoided the full force of the explosion.
“The deodorant can was no bigger than a highlighter pen, but it caused a big bang. The best way to avoid this is to never leave anything flammable on or near to heaters, wood burning stoves or open fires.
“The family who live in this house were incredibly lucky – that tiny can caused a lot of damage, but it could have been far worse.
For more information about how to stay warm safely this winter or to book a free Safe and Well check visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk or call 0800 555 815.