Gas leak alert

Susan Maguire, left, and Diane Wilding on Winchester Grove, Ince, where police had to force entry into a house so that gas safety work could be carried out

Susan Maguire, left, and Diane Wilding on Winchester Grove, Ince, where police had to force entry into a house so that gas safety work could be carried out

0
Have your say

CONCERNED neighbours fear their lives are being put in danger after a serious gas leak which was moments away from explosion.

Police were called to Winchester Grove, Lower Ince, following reports a tenant of a privately-rented property was refusing entry to a house with a suspected gas leak.

Worried residents were alerted by a strong smell and contacted emergency engineers. Despite locating the leak, National Grid engineers were unable to enter the house when the occupier refused to open the front door.

He eventually allowed access to the property when officers attended.

Diane Wilding moved to the street with her 15-year-old daughter and son, aged 17, in January.

Ms Wilding, 43, said: “It’s like we’re living next to a ticking time bomb. The safety of my family and the rest of the street is being compromised.

“The smell was really overpowering so I switched of our gas supply and rang the emergency number.

“We were lucky there wasn’t a serious explosion. All the neighbours want some assurances that the house is safe.”

A spokesman for National Grid, which is responsilbe for the gas network, said the incident had been reported to police over fears that a meter may have been tampered with.

However, a spokesman for Greater Manchester Police said officers had attended the incident but no further investigation was taking place.