Girlfriend pays tribute to lost love

Superintendent Andrea Jones holds a press conference at Wigan Police Station about the deaths of two men from contaminated ecstasy pills
Superintendent Andrea Jones holds a press conference at Wigan Police Station about the deaths of two men from contaminated ecstasy pills

THE devastated girlfriend of a Wigan man who died after swallowing several contaminated pills has spoken of her tragic loss.

Catherine Fulton was distraught when her boyfriend of two years Gareth Ashton, 28, died after taking what was thought to be contaminated ecstasy tablets at the weekend.

The couple, who lived together in Norley, had already suffered heartache after their 10-day-old daughter Millie Mai died in January last year following a chest infection.

Writing a poignant Facebook tribute to Gareth, who she affectionately called Big G, she said: “Words can’t even begin to describe how utterly devastated I am.

“Not only have I lost my beautiful daughter Millie but now I have lost the love of my life, Gareth.”

She added that she will miss their ritual good night kiss and he told her he loved her every night.

She added: “You are my strength, my rock, my life. I wouldn’t have changed you for the world. Our home and my life will be quiet and dull without you. Love and miss you forever.”

Catherine, 29, who was affectionately called Little C by Gareth, added that he had talked of marrying her and they had planned to try for a baby this year.

She said: “He was the love of my life. He was one in a million and no one will come close to Gareth.

“He was very popular and had hundreds of friends.”

Gareth, also known as Gaz by friends, was a plasterer and had two younger sisters and three younger brothers.

He also had a four-year-old son, called Joseph.

Catherine added: “His mum, Sharon, is also distraught and she will never get over it.”

Catherine is now warning other people not to take the drugs, which are small, brightly coloured heart-shaped pills, saying: “Gareth’s death is so tragic and such a waste.

“I’d just tell people to think twice because it ruins the people who are left behind and have to pick up the pieces.”

Jordan Chambers, 19, of Poolstock, also died at the weekend after suffering from the same symptoms.

Two men, aged 34 and 33, arrested on suspicion of being concerned in supplying a controlled drug have been bailed until March 20 and March 22 respectively.

As part of drug warrants relating to the incident, a 28-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of possessing cocaine with intent to supply and a 27-year-old woman has been arrested on suspicion of possessing cocaine.

Both remain in police custody for questioning.