WIGAN’S one-time gardening poster boy was facing jail today after admitting a string of vile child porn charges.
Damian Jenkinson appeared before a Liverpool Crown Court judge this week to plead guilty to no fewer than 19 charges of possessing and creating indecent images of children.
Due to the serious nature of the allegation we took immediate action and this individual is no longer an employee of the councilTerry Dunn
The 28-year-old, of Liverpool Road, Platt Bridge, was for years the face and co-ordinator of Wigan Council’s hugely successful Borough in Bloom crusades.
He was accused of making or possessing hundreds of disgusting child abuse images, many of which fell into the most serious category A.
The award-winning horticulturalist had already been sacked by the local authority before his latest court apappearance.
He was released on conditional bail pending sentencing at Liverpool on May 8. The judge told him he must not have any unsupervised contact with a child under the age of 16 or a vulnerable adult and bailed him to the address in Platt Bridge.
Terry Dunn, Wigan Council’s director of environment, said: “Due to the serious nature of the allegation we took immediate action and this individual is no longer an employee of the council.
“We have fully supported the police investigation and will continue to do so.”
Jenkinson has been a rising star of the horticultural world.
He made his mark as part of a college team which won Best in Show at Tatton Park, was a runner-up in the BBC’s Young Gardener of the Year competition and later became an ambassador for the Royal Horticultural Society.
He is credited with the huge successes enjoyed by the borough in recent years in both the regional and national In Bloom contests, turning unlikely outsiders from an unfashionable industrial area into highly impressive contenders.
His work brought him into frequent contact with schoolchildren although no allegations of abuse have been made against him.