‘I bit into my burger and got a mouthful of hairs’

Adele Molly, from Hawkley Hall, with the burger she found hairs in (below) that was retrieved from a dustbin after restaurant management said it would be sent away for analysis
Adele Molly, from Hawkley Hall, with the burger she found hairs in (below) that was retrieved from a dustbin after restaurant management said it would be sent away for analysis
37
Have your say

A FAST-FOOD giant is investigating after a Wigan mum had a nasty shock when she bit into a cheeseburger and found hairs inside.

Adele Molloy, who lives in Hawkley Hall, claims she was left with hair in her teeth after eating part of the McDonalds burger bought from an outlet in Marus Bridge.

Hairs found in Adele Molly's burger

Hairs found in Adele Molly's burger

The 33-year-old is keen for the company to investigate and is still in possession of the offending snack after reclaiming it from the store’s staff.

Adele said: “I had taken a few bites and felt there was something in my teeth. I pulled it out and realised it was hair.

“The way I felt, I didn’t know if I was going to be sick or start crying. When I had a look inside the burger, I could see there was quite a few in there. “I drove back to McDonalds and showed them straightaway and they were quite reasonable and offered me a full refund.”

Adele explained that she was assured that the McDonalds staff would deal with her complaint and was told that the burger would be sent off “to be analysed”.

But having spoken to council Environmental Health officers, Adele returned to McDonalds to try to reclaim it for it to be examined.

She said: “I told them I wanted it back and they said they couldn’t give it back because they had thrown it in the bin. I demanded it though and they did hand it over in the end but I’m angry that they told me one thing at first and then threw it away.

“I’m upset that at no stage have I been offered an apology and their standards should be much higher than this.”

The mum-of-four has been informed by the American fast-food conglomerate that her case is under investigation and they have asked for the burger to be sent to them for tests.

A spokesman said to the Evening Post: “We are very sorry for Ms Molloy’s experience when visiting our restaurant. We have high standards of food quality and have launched an investigation into the alleged incident. We will be in touch with Ms Molloy once this investigation is complete.”

The local authority’s officers said they would be unable to examine the burger because it had been “contaminated” after it was put in the bin at the restaurant.

Julie Searing, business compliance service manager, said: “Wigan Council takes complaints about the standards of food hygiene very seriously.

“Our team investigate complaints which present a risk to the public. Unfortunately, in this case the complainant advised that food had been retrieved from the bin, making it impossible for our officers to determine with certainty whether it was contaminated before or after being placed there.

“We have spoken to McDonalds to let them know about, and to discuss the complaint.

“We always make a note of such incidents on file. We’ve also spoken to the complainant to explain why we will not be able to investigate their complaint further.”