Inferno at flat

Flat Fire at Sunderland Place, Marsh Green
Flat Fire at Sunderland Place, Marsh Green
0
Have your say

A FLAT has been left gutted after a fire broke out in the early hours of the morning.

The ground floor apartment at an address in Sunderland Place, Marsh Green, has been left uninhabitable since the blaze, fire crews say.

The exact cause of the blaze is not yet certain although firefighters who attended say that it may have been caused by discarded smoking materials.

Two crews from Wigan attended the scene at 12.09am on Wednesday to find flames already engulfing the living room of the property with the sofa at the centre of the blaze.

It quickly spread to the rest of the flat and an adjoining apartment had to be temporarily evacuated while the firefighters took control.

Nobody was inside at the time and no casualties were reported but the fire service was unable to carry out a home safety check as it couldn’t find an occupant to whom it could give advice. Crews used a hose jet, breathing apparatus and a fan to get rid of the smoke.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said that the blaze was being treated as accidental and sounded a warning about the careful disposal of cigarettes and matches.

He said: “It looks like it was an accident, possibly started by carelessly discarded smoking material.

“The fire started on a sofa before spreading throughout the ground floor of the property.

“Crews entered the property with breathing apparatus and spent time extinguishing the blaze and securing the property.

“No-one was inside at the time meaning they couldn’t carry out a home safety check.”