Kidnapping suspect still claiming innocence online

Andrew Evans posted this picture to his Facebook profile
Andrew Evans posted this picture to his Facebook profile

The prime suspect wanted in connection with the kidnapping of a Wigan couple has continued to protest his innocence online.

Andrew Evans, who is being traced by Greater Manchester Police (GMP), used Facebook to write another string of messages denying involvement and criticising officers over the weekend.

Posting as Andy Evans he initially used Wigan Today’s Facebook page to claim he had no part in the incident in which Ron Roberts and his wife Margaret were threatened in their Lowton home before being driven to a cash machine in Golborne to withdraw hundreds of pounds.

He then followed that up with a series of postings on GMP Leigh, Atherton and Hindley’s Facebook page after they posted the appeal searching for him.

In this string of comments he again repeated numerous times that he was not in any way responsible.

The 26-year-old, of Heath Street in Golborne, also criticised the police for putting an appeal out and asked them to submit evidence linking him to the kidnapping to his legal representatives.

In one message he wrote: “If you can tell me what evidence you have frew my solicitor please as I really have not committed this offence”.

Another message said: “Dya know what u need to do go and find the real person who did it instead of ruining peopls lives”.

He also described having his picture and an appeal circulated as “shaming” for himself and his family.

His mother, who originally began posting on our newspaper’s Facebook page last week following the original police appeal for Evans, has also been making her presence felt on GMP’s social media.

She took one commenter to task for asking Evans to name who he believed was responsible for the kidnapping and then questioned why the police were searching for him.

She wrote: “Why u only just put all this in paper & on news? It happen in March didnt it? Why so long. What proof u got? He sorted his life out now!”

The online storm generated a huge response among Facebook readers and commenters.

A few took Evans’ side but more said that he should go to the police station and clear his name, at least so that officers could find the person responsible for the kidnapping more rapidly.

Kathleen Wells wrote: “I hope that justice is correct. I don’t know but I hope they get the correct person for the crime.”

Greater Manchester Police (GMP) have confirmed that despite his online activity Evans remains wanted in connection with the kidnapping.

The force said on Monday morning that the appeals for information on his whereabouts and about the incident on Stone Cross Lane North in the early hours of Thursday March 16 still standing.

The police’s only response to Evans’ online messages was a statement telling him social media was not the correct place to discuss the matter and he needed to come in to a station and give his information during interview.

The police have already reminded people that not informing them about a wanted man is in itself a criminal offence.

Anyone with information about Evans or the kidnapping should ring police on the non-emergency number 101 or contact independent charity Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.