Kitchen fire after food left on cooker

Grenfell Close in Worsley Mesnes. Picture from Google Street View

Grenfell Close in Worsley Mesnes. Picture from Google Street View

3
Have your say

A PAN of food left unattended on a cooker sparked a fire in a kitchen.

Fire crews were called to the flat on Grenfell Close, in Worsley Mesnes, at around 11.30am on Tuesday.

They found the pan of food on the cooker and the rest of the property heavily smoke-logged.

The owner had gone out but a neighbour heard the smoke alarm and alerted the emergency services.

Firefighters broke open the back door before putting out the flames and using a fan to clear the property of smoke.

Watch manager Gareth Gray said: “There was quite a lot of thick smoke in the flat because of the plastic on the pan and the oil inside it.

“The owner is a bit lucky the damage was confined just to the pan, to be honest.

“We’ve actually been to the property and fitted smoke alarms in the past, and that’s a good thing because it has raised the alarm before the fire spread.”

The flat owner returned to the property while the crews were there and was given some home safety advice after telling crews he had not realised the pan was still on when he went out.

Two fire engines from Wigan station attended the incident and were at the scene for around an hour.