FORMER Wigan Warriors chairman, Maurice Lindsay, told yesterday how he almost died after eating a sandwich containing deadly bacteria.
Mr Lindsay, 70, who retired at the Super League club in 1999, was bought ox tongue by his house-keeper from the independent supermarket chain, Booths.
But the tongue was infected with the listeria virus (which has a 30 per cent mortality rate when it infects humans) and left Mr Lindsay fighting for his life in hospital.
At a hearing at Blackpool Magistrates Court, the E.H.Booths group was fined £27,500 after it admitted 10 hygiene labelling and sell by date offences and were also ordered to pay £46,775 legal costs.
Speaking after the hearing Mr Lindsay, who had to give up his role as the chairman of Preston North End Football Club following the incident, which happened two years ago, said: ”A bite almost cost me my life. The doctors said I should be in my coffin.
“That meat nearly killed me - I have been so ill I had to give up my role at North End.”
READ THE FULL STORY IN THIS WEEK’S WIGAN OBSERVER ...