A WIGAN dad died after taking a massive drug overdose – but a coroner said he may not have known the strength of the heroin he injected.
Pathologists found that Andrew Bonney, who also went by the surname Topping, had 996 microgrammes of heroin per litre of blood in his system at the time of his death.
The range normally regarded as a fatal dose is 100 to 500 microgrammes.
Bolton Coroner’s Court heard how Mr Bonney, 39, had started his own company doing loft conversions for storage purposes but had fallen on hard times after a car crash rendered him unable to work.
His partner, Sophie Daw, told how he had “never really recovered” after the crash - in which his tools were also lost.
She also told how Mr Bonney, a big Manchester United fan, once had an “on and off drug problem”.
She said: “He would use heroin excessively for about a week every six to eight months. Something would trigger him and he would go on a bender.”
Ms Daw said Mr Bonney had used the internet to order a batch of tablets from Hungary and had been behaving out of character in the days before his death.
She also told how she had been admitted to hospital with pneumonia but had discharged herself on October 19 last year so she could return to her Standish home to check on Mr Bonney and their son, Charlie.
When she went upstairs she overheard a phone conversation in which Mr Bonney was asking someone for syringes.
A short time later Ms Daw’s father knocked on the front door to check up on his daughter.
When she then went upstairs she found Mr Bonney collapsed on the bathroom floor.
She said: “I knew something was amiss straight away. His face was black. We telephoned an ambulance immediately.” Sadly, Mr Bonney was pronounced dead by paramedics.
In a police statement, it was heard how an officer, who was called out to Mr Bonney’s Preston Road home at about 2am the following morning, told how he had found six used syringes in the bathroom and several packets of heroin.
He concluded that there were no suspicious circumstances surronding Mr Bonney’s death.
Drugs worker Carl Rens also told how Mr Bonney, who suffered from ulceration to his legs, had missed several appointments and group sessions in the months before he died.
Pathologist Dr Sharma recorded the medical cause of death as acute morphine and heroin toxicity.
Coroner Jennifer Leeming said it was impossible to know whether Mr Bonney knew he was taking an overdose and that there were indications that the heroin he had taken was “a particularly pure sample”.
She recorded that he died due to the misuse of drugs.