DCSIMG

Four hospitalised after chip pan fire

Top story

Top story

FOUR people were taken to hospital after a chip pan fire at a Wigan house.

Fire crews were called to the mid-terrace property in Platt Bridge at around 7am on Saturday.

Crews from Wigan, Hindley and Atherton attended the address on Walthew Lane and found a chip pan had been left unattended in the kitchen and the entire house was filled with acrid black smoke.

Four firefighters wearing breathing apparatus tackled the blaze, which badly damaged the kitchen and left serious smoke damage throughout the house.

Three adults and a child managed to leave the property before the fire engines arrived but were treated by paramedics for smoke inhalation and taken to Wigan Infirmary. However, their injuries are not thought to be serious.

Firefighters said they believed two of the adults had been drinking and also found the property had no working smoke alarms.

Crew manager Craig Cubbins from Hindley fire station said: “Alcohol and chip pans do not mix. We do not like people using chip pans, and certainly not after a night out.

“It was actually the smoke that alerted them as they did not have a smoke alarm, and they also rang the property owner’s father to get help rather than calling 999 straight away.

“When you add the lack of a working smoke alarm to the fact our safety advice was not adhered to, it is a recipe for disaster.

“We urge anyone who does not have a working smoke alarm to notify us and we will come and fit one for free.”

To book a home safety check, call Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Service (GMFRS) on 0800 555 815.

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page