DCSIMG

Man hospitalised after dog bite

Scholes resident John Allan Barton was bit by a dog, causing damage to his hand, in an alleyway in Scholes, Wigan.

Scholes resident John Allan Barton was bit by a dog, causing damage to his hand, in an alleyway in Scholes, Wigan.

A WIGAN man was hospitalised after being bitten by a dog in an alley way.

John Barton of Scholes was walking nearby Darlington Street East to pick up his daily newspaper but was forced to divert to the Infirmary before making it to the shop.

The 52-year-old was bitten on the hand by a Rottweiler/pitbull type cross-breed while carrying his own Yorkshire Terrier.

He said: “It was a savage attack and completely unprovoked. The dog was with its owner but didn’t have a lead on or any collar, it’s a menace.

“One minute I was just walking and minding my own business and the next my hand was pouring with blood. It was awful. It could have been anybody that day and if it was a child they wouldn’t have stood a chance with that dog.

“The pain was like nothing I have ever experienced before, I’ve been in agony ever since, it’s like a screwdriver just stabbing me in lots of different places. But straight after it I was just in a daze - I Couldn’t believe it had happened.”

John, who is a carer for his 62-year-old blind and disabled brother, David, was taken to hospital by ambulance after the incident and was given a tetanus injection treated for the wounds.

Since, he has been struggling to carry out day-to-day tasks.

He added: “I’m just frightened about what could have happened to my brother if I was unable to look after him. Luckily I have managed to continue to care for him but it has been such a struggle.”

Resident Kelly Partington was horrified as she witnessed the attack with her partner, Gareth Smith.

The 32-year-old said: “We were both disturbed by the barking noises outside the window and was so shocked when we looked out of the window.

“It was awful watching it and knowing that we couldn’t do anything to help.

“We shouted out that the owner needed to put his dog on a lead but it wasn’t even a lead which he had it was just an old broken belt. It’s just horrific, I have young children and I’m just scared for their safety now.”

 

Comments

 
 

Back to the top of the page