LATICS fans are being urged to come forward with details as police probe a violent brawl between QPR supporters.
Fighting broke out at Loftus Road during Wigan’s ill-starred play-off semi-final last Monday. The away fans were not involved but the incident took place close to where they were sitting and officers say they may have important witness statements to make.
Violence erupted during the second half when stewards tried to remove a fan from the upper tier of the South Africa Road stand. They have also appealed to QPR supporters to identify five suspects.
Chief Supt Colin Morgan from Specialist Crime and Operations Public Order Branch said: “This incident started with some pushing and shoving at the top of the stand. It quickly turned nasty as a large group of supporters and stewards fell and were forced backwards down the steep stairway that separates the stands.
“It was made worse by some supporters who then chose to punch, push and kick at the stewards. It was pure luck that no-one was badly hurt. We will deal robustly with those responsible for disorder, whether inside or outside football venues, and we will bring them to court.”
Anyone who is able to identify any of the men is asked to contact officers from Operation Arrowtip on 020 8246 0076. Alternatively if they wish to remain anonymous fans can contact Crimestoppers on 0800 555111.
Last week, the Evening Post reported on a supporter in the Wigan section of the ground who was struck on the head by a missile thrown by a QPR fan. At the time the London club said it didn’t know of any crowd unrest and would not comment any further on the incident.
UPDATE: Two men, one aged 29 and the other aged 35, have since been arrested and bailed to appear in court in early July.