A WIGAN mum is warning parents to throw away a dangerous doll after it was found to contain cancerous chemicals.
Hayley Cartwright immediately binned the Fruit Head doll her five-year-old daughter Sophie had been given as a Christmas present after she had seen messages on a social forum about traces of poisonous chemical phthalates being contained in them.
The chemical can cause cancer, deformities in unborn babies and death and infertility in men.
The 25-year-old from Hindley, who has three children under the age of five, said: “I chucked it out as soon as I had seen that it had been recalled by trading standards. My gran, Jean Cartwright, had bought it for £10 from a mini market stall in Blackpool last June and had it in her house since then.
“Luckily Sophie has not been ill and she has not had a rash. We are one of the lucky ones. I have a one-year-old son who puts things in his mouth - I dread to think what the consequences could have been,
“She took it everywhere, like every other doll she has,
“She was upset when I took it away from her, but I replaced it with a Baby Born doll which walks.
“I think it is disgusting that these toys were sold. They should have been checked for things like that before they get put on the market.
“As a lot of people may go to Blackpool for a day out, they may have bought a doll and are unaware of its dangers.
“My gran had a few friends who also bought them for their grandchildren.”
Trading Standards bosses in Blackpool - where the dolls were sold - have since taken them off the streets to prevent children and parents coming into contact with them – but have issued an urgent warning to parents who may have bought them.
Coun Gillian Campbell, cabinet member for housing and public protection at Blackpool Council, said: “These bright and attractive looking toys could easily have made an attractive-looking stocking-filler for any young child across the North West, as Blackpool is a popular destination,
“However, they are subject to a Europe-wide recall notice because of the chemicals they contain.
“We are extremely keen to help keep youngsters safe and I would urge anyone who has bought one of these toys not to give them as gifts or let them near their children.
“People who have bought them should return them to the store and request a full refund.”
Anyone with concerns can contact the trading standards team on 01253 478391.