Machete threat man facing trial

editorial image
0
Have your say

A MAN accused of threatening people in the street with a machete-type blade will face crown court trial.

Aiden Jevons appeared at Wigan and Leigh Magistrates’ Court facing a charge of affray following an incident on February 19 in which he was alleged to have used or threatened violence towards three men who feared for their safety.

Jevons, of Winchester Grove, Ince, denied the charge relating to an incident in which a 9ins blade was said to have been used.

Katie Beattie, prosecuting, said a PCSO had been alerted by a passer-by, who told her to “get round the corner because someone is going to get hurt”. Mrs Beattie said the PCSO arrived on the scene to find Jevons shouting and wielding a machete, waving and pointing it at a group of three men who were ducking to get out of the way of the blade.

The prosecution said Jevons, 25, then went into his home but could be seen at the front window, still holding the weapon.

Simon Gretton, defending, said his client denied the charge of affray and having the weapon, and did not want to make any further representation at this stage.

The magistrates committed the case to Liverpool Crown Court, where Jevons will appear for trial on July 2. He was released on conditional bail.

The magistrates also imposed a 14-day suspended prison sentence for culpable neglect after court records showed he had £375 of outstanding fines relating to offences in 2009 and 2011.

Jevons was ordered to begin paying the fines at a rate of £15 per week or face jail.