A YOUNG man who was arrested on suspicion of the manslaughter of a Wigan care worker has been cleared of all blame.
The 20-year-old, who has not been officially identified, was subjected to a torrent of abuse on social media from those pre-judging him following the death of Megan Hoskins earlier this year.
Megan was fatally injured after she was hit by two taxis travelling along Ormskirk Road, Newtown, in the early hours of Sunday July 20.
Police reports stated that a short time earlier Megan, a 20-year-old from Worsley Hall, had been involved in an altercation with a man and there was an allegation that she had been pushed into the road. Striking firefighters from Wigan’s Green Watch immediately abandoned a pension protest picket line to rescue her from underneath the car using specialist lifting gear.
She was rushed to hospital but lost her battle for life several hours later.
The suspect was arrested, questioned and released on police bail without charge and told to report back to Wigan Police headquarters on October 14 when he would either be charged, re-bailed or released.
But a police spokesman said today that as inquiries continued it soon became apparent that the young man was in no way responsible for Megan’s death. He was called back to the police station early and told that they would be taking no further action and that he was free to go.
A statement released by the young woman’s family shortly after her death read: “Megan was a highly ambitious and caring person who would do anything for anyone. She had plans of becoming a social worker and travelling the world with her friends.”
An inquest into Megan’s death was opened and then adjourned in late July and is due to resume for a pre-inquest hearing on November 7.