Man dies in fire

News story

News story

0
Have your say

A MAN has died after an electric heater set alight at his Wigan home.

Crews from Atherton were called to Ash Street, in Tyldesley, at 6.40pm on Tuesday by police who couldn’t access a property and believed a fire had taken place inside.

When they entered the property, firefighters discovered the body of a 49-year-old man in one of the bedrooms of the home.

The fire, which is believed to have been caused by an electric heater, had spread to bedding and clothes.

The smouldering blaze was out on arrival, but had smoke-logged the first floor of the house.

Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue Authority, Coun David Acton, said: “Please take care with electric heaters.

“When the temperature drops it’s very tempting to use them to help heat your home, but they are extremely powerful and anything placed too near to them will catch light.

“If you need to use an electric heater place it in the centre of a room well away from furniture or other flammable items and ensure it is stable and can’t topple over.”

For advice about how to keep warm safely this winter or to book a free Home Safety Check visit www.manchesterfire.gov.uk or call 0800 555 815