Microwave blamed for evacuation

Emergency services in chemical suits at the Grand Arcade

Emergency services in chemical suits at the Grand Arcade

0
Have your say

STAFF and shoppers have been allowed back into a shopping centre in Wigan after firefighters investigated a ‘strange smell.’

Employees from Vodafone, in the Grand Arcade, could sense a strange smell and felt their eyes and throat burning.

Centre managers called the emergency services and evacuated the centre at 2pm on Saturday.

Firefighters, police and paramedics attended the scene.

A spokesman for Greater Manchester Fire and Rescue said: “Crews have been monitoring the situation with specialist equipment.

“The centre was evacuated as a precaution, but there appears to be nothing to worry about.

“It is nothing sinister.”

A spokesman from The Grand Arcade confirmed the centre was open again after 90 minutes and the source of the smell was a microwave oven.