Mum and daughter forced to flee blaze

Anne-Marie Richards and her daughter Angel after being forced to leave their home due to a kitchen fire

Anne-Marie Richards and her daughter Angel after being forced to leave their home due to a kitchen fire

0
Have your say

A CONCERNED mum is warning parents to be aware of the dangers of leaving kitchen appliances unattended after she and her daughter were forced to flee a fire at their home.

Anne-Marie Richards, 24, and her two-year-old daughter Angel had to run to safety after a grill pan, which she had left for only a couple of minutes, caught fire.

Anne-Marie attempted to tackle the flames herself before being forced to retreat to safety with her daughter and the family dog Rocky until fire crews from Hindley arrived.

Now she wants to warn other parents of the danger of turning your back on kitchen equipment left on even for a few seconds.

Anne-Marie said: “I’d been doing sausages under the grill for Angel and had gone into the front room to cut them up for her.

“I got distracted for a few minutes and before I knew it I could see smoke. My smoke alarms were going off and somehow I’d forgotten to switch the grill off.

“I rang 999 and should have got out of the house straight away but stupidly, I threw water on the fire and the flames went mad.

“I just want to tell everyone, especially with kids, to be careful in the kitchen. I’ll never do that again and thank goodness we were OK and I know my smoke alarm works!”

Firefighters tackled the blaze before carrying out a home safety check and giving Anne-Marie and her neighbours some advice for keeping her home safe.

Watch Manager Issac Olurankinse said: “We were unable to get into the house at the back because a tumble dryer was stored in front of it. We were able to give Anne-Marie some advice on this in a Home Safety Check.

“She now knows the worst thing you can do is to throw water on a fat fire and that you should get everyone out as soon as smoke alarms sound.”

Fire chiefs urged people to be vigilant in the kitchen, and advised they should never attempt to tackle a fire themselves.

Chairman of Greater Manchester Fire Authority, Coun David Acton, said: “Serious fires can start when you are distracted, even for a few seconds, but you should never leave cooking unattended, even to answer the phone or the door.

“When cooking fried food, dry it before you put it in the hot oil. If the oil starts to smoke, turn off the heat and leave the pan to cool. Never fill the pan more than one-third full of oil and never throw water over the pan.”