Pensioner dies in chip pan house fire

Montrose Avenue

Montrose Avenue

3
Have your say

AN ELDERLY man has died after a blaze broke out at his Wigan home last night

Firefighters were called to an address in Montrose Avenue, Norley, at around 5.40pm on Tuesday after neighbours heard a smoke alarm.

The as-yet-unnamed victim, thought to have been around 65 years old, had been brought outside by a rescuer by the time crews arrived but he could not be resuscitated.

A chip pan catching fire appears to have been the cause.