Pensioner treated for effects of smoke inhalation

Ashfield Avenue, Atherton. Google Maps
Ashfield Avenue, Atherton. Google Maps
0
Have your say

A BLOCK of flats was smoke-logged after a pensioner left food burning in a microwave.

Fire crews were called to Ashfield Avenue, in Atherton, at 11pm on Monday, after a block of flats had filled with smoke.

They arrived to find a 65-year-old man had burnt food in his microwave and did not have a working smoke alarm.

Paramedics treated him for smoke inhalation at the scene.

Crew manager Craig Cubbins said: “The block of flats was full of smoke. We escorted the man out of the flat, but luckily everyone else was able to remain inside.

“He had removed his smoke alarm and we strongly urge people not to do that. We can come and fit new smoke alarms for free - all people need to do is contact us.”