Plug pulled on borough’s answer to Glastonbury

Ed Thwaite

Ed Thwaite

0
Have your say

SILENCE will be golden in Lowton after plans for a music festival which had caused outrage among residents were finally shelved.

Councillors and residents’ groups had been bombarded with messages from people unhappy about the proposed three-day Lowton Music Festival at Grange Farm.

Organisers had hoped to salvage something of the event by running a one-day festival but finally pulled the plug on the event before an application for a temporary events notice could be considered by Wigan Council.

A long list of objections had been raised to the festival, which would have taken place just south of the East Lancs Road near Golborne, with residents extremely concerned about noise and traffic disruption.

Ed Thwaite, chair of residents’ group Lowton East Neighbourhood Development Forum (LENDF), said: “I’m just glad for the residents that it’s not going ahead, because it would have been quite horrendous for them.

“They were also going to have a camping field so there would have been noise all the time. It wasn’t a very appropriate to place to have it.”

Conservative councillor for Lowton East ward James Grundy said: “On behalf of residents I am very relieved this event has been cancelled.

“There was significant concern in the community regarding the impact it would have and it seemed to have ben organised at relatively short notice. We are not against people holding community events like this but it is necessary for the requisite organisation to be done beforehand to ensure this doesn’t happen in the future.”

Organisers had originally promised around 100 hours of live music over three days between Friday August 21 and Sunday August 23, with two stages showcasing everything from indie to hard rock and punk bands.

In addition to the residents’ concern Greater Manchester Police (GMP) and Wigan Council’s business compliance officers also objected due to concerns over the organisation.

The agenda for the now-scrapped licensing meeting showed vital documentation including risk assessments had not been completed.

The organisers were not directly available for comment but did express disappointment the event would not be going ahead and hoped to try to organise other music events in the future.