Prison for man, 60 who downloaded child abuse images

David Cadman

David Cadman

5
Have your say

A WIGAN man who downloaded thousands of disgusting and sadistic child abuse images was jailed for 14 months.

A court heard that 60-year-old David Cadman, who used to run a modelling studio, admitted viewing images of children as young as three being abused.

Child pornography just came up online, I thought it was nice, but that’s as far as it goes. I don’t touch kids

David Cadman

Sentencing him, Judge Norman Wright said he had come close to distributing “these wicked and pernicious” images because he used file sharing software and he did not have it password protected.

He said the victims were doubly abused by being forced to engage in sex acts and then having the images released “to the world at large where they would be seen again and again and again.”

Liverpool Crown Court heard that police raided Cadman’s unkempt flat in Park Road, Wigan, on November 20 last year.

He was out but was contacted by police and met the officers in a local car park. When arrested on suspicion of possessing and distributing indecent images he replied: “I’ve not been distributing.”

Three computers were seized along with CDs, DVDs memory cards and flyers for a modelling agency. Indecent images were found on the CDs and the computers.

Andrew Ford, prosecuting, said that a total of 10,837 images were discovered on analysis in all three categories of seriousness and including 925 videos.

The images included children aged from about five to 12 years old being bound, gagged and wearing collars.

When interviewed Cadman, who has no previous convictions, said he had not had sex with a woman for 20 years and lived alone.

“Child pornography just came up online, I thought it was nice, but that’s as far as it goes. I don’t touch kids.”

Cadman also told he was into photography and used to take family portraits and also pictures for young model wanting a portfolio including topless and nude shots for over-18-year-olds.

Cadman pleaded guilty to four offences of possessing indecent images of children.

Judge Wright ordered him to sign the Sex Offenders’ Register for ten years and imposed an indefinite Sexual Harm Prevention Order restricting his internet use.

He also ordered that all the computer and photographic equipment seized in the police raid be confiscated.

Kyra Badman, defending, said: “He accepts the material he was viewing was totally wrong.”

He had tried to minimise his behaviour when quizzed by the police but no longer does so and a probation report shows he represents a low risk of re-offending

She said he has lost his job with a sign design company because of the offences and she asked that he be allowed to keep his camera equipment as he has no money and wanted to sell them.