TWO houses were evacuated and a residential street was closed off because of a chemical leak.
Fire crews were called to Lansdowne Road in Atherton at around 11am today after around 1,000 litres of paraffin leaked from a tank in the back garden of one of the properties.
Crews from Atherton and Bolton ventilated nearby houses along with the North West Ambulance Service although no one was injured.
An environmental protection unit was also sent to the scene and a cordon was put in place so traffic could not access the road.
GMFRS station manager Ady Taylor, who was in charge of the incident, said: “We were dealing with an incident involving around 1,000 litres of kerosene that soaked into the ground and surrounding area when the tank it was in burst.
“We worked closely with other organisations, including United Utilities and the local authority, to clean up the leak and keep people safe.”